Thursday, October 31, 2019

The same RootsTech, but also a different RootsTech



RootsTech London has been strangely familiar, but also very different.  It is not the same as RootsTech in Salt Lake City, yet in many ways it is.

One familiar aspect was meeting up with friends, though many people I am used to seeing in SLC were not at the London event, though a large number were. There were also friends who have never attended the Salt Lake City conferences.

Nick Barratt
The most obvious (and unsurprising) difference was the number of talks relevant to people with only UK ancestry.  While in SLC there are often more than one talk at any one time I would like to attend, in this case there were lots! Hence the delay in getting some of these blog posts out!  I loved the chance to hear several talks by Nick Barratt, as not only is he familiar to us all from TV, I am particularly interested in the medieval period and he is a medievalist by training.


Another difference was the number of European exhibitors. There was
  • Adam Research Centre (Arabian Peninsula)
  • American Ancestors
  • Belgium and Luxembourg Societies – Historie de Families
  • Bella Italia Genealogy (Italy)
  • Coret Genealogy (Dutch)
  • Coutot-Roehrig (European heirs research)
  • Deutsche Arbeitsgemeinschaft genealogisher Verbände (Germany)
  • Federation Française de Genealogie (French)
  • Filae.com (French)
  • International Genealogy and Probate Service by Ukrainian Bar for Foreigh Affairs
  • My China Roots


In addition there were the usual stands: Ancestry, Findmypast, MyHeritage and so on.
















Disclaimer: As a RootsTech Ambassador I receive complimentary admission to the event, invitations to some extra events and a free registration to give to one of my readers. I bear the cost of my return airfares from Australia and pay for my accommodation and meals.



No comments:

Post a Comment